Saturday, October 31, 2009

Beautiful Fall Day

I have been gathering up leaves for composting this morning. There is still some color sprinkled on the mountains (this is the view from my living room window taken last week). The remaining pictures were taken by my Dad when we hiked at Blanchard Springs Cavern. (Dad - Thank you for hiking with me –it was very nice to spend time with you!)While organizing the studio, I realized I was in need of work tables and tools. I gave Dad specs and supplies and he is building a couple of work stations that my Mom has offered to sand and varnish (I am really lucky to have such sweet parents!!). I also ordered some throwing tools that should be in next week. In the meantime, I am wedging clay and drawing designs of pots I want to throw. Since 2003, I have been a part of a Women’s Cancer Support Group (I had a very rare type of cancer with a 98% cure rate). They are an incredible group of ladies and have brought so much love, joy and wisdom into my life. We have become good friends and always have so much fun when we get together. They are strong, kind, fun, loving women and I am grateful they are a part of my life!

Several months ago at one of our meetings, Jeanne, was having difficulty speaking. After a long pause, she apologized and explained that she was having trouble forming words because her brain was a little muddled from the radiation treatments she was receiving to treat brain cancer. Demaris, who is in her 80’s and a hoot, nudged Jeanne in her side with an elbow and said, “What did you say your name was?” Jeanne, sharp as a tack and quick as a whistle, answered, “How soon do you need to know?” The group of us burst into laughter.

Jeanne - we miss your smile, your faith, your wonderful sense of humor, and your heartfelt hugs.

10 comments:

tonya said...

Hey Jewels,
Beautiful post and pictures! I'm really excited to see your pots!! Hope you have a great weekend :)

Arkansas Patti said...

Your header is framable Jewels. Well done.

Lovely tribute to Jeanne who was a joy to know. Her wit was delightful.
She was truly one of the best huggers ever and will be missed.
I have no doubt she is now whole and well with her struggles behind her.

SunShine said...

Hello Tonya! Thank you. It has been almost four years since I last threw a pot so I am pretty excited about seeing my pots too. : ) I am also very excited for you and your November arrival!

Hello Patti! Thank you. We are lucky to have known her. : ) I look forward to seeing you Monday!

Peter said...

Hi Jewels,
Your post reminded me of just how precious family and friends can be. Spending time with mum and dad, making time for friends is really such an important part of life (and something I often don't do enough of). Lovely photos of your beautiful part of the world.

SunShine said...

Hello Peter! It is difficult to keep a balance between work and play sometimes - I think you tend toward work and I tend to play more than I should. : ) Now that all the leaves are gone here, I am enjoying seeing pictures of your green surroundings. Enjoy!

Barry said...

Hi Jewels -

Love the latest images. Very nice. Is the plant in the header photo poison ivy? PI can be very pretty in the fall.

Wonderful tribute to your friend.

Linda Starr said...

Wow, what a beautiful photo at the top; just like I could walk right into the photo; your friend sounds so wonderful to have known. Looking forward to some of your pots.

SunShine said...

Hello Barry! The vine pictured is greenbrier – its fall colors are very similar to poison ivy which also grows well here. : )

Hello Linda! It was fun seeing the pictures of Arkansas barns on your post. I love old barns and the feelings of nostalgia they bring about.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Hi, Jewels! I've been catching up on your posts after a time away. Love your new pottery building; your workers did a super job! Your header photo is gorgeous!! And the Blanchard Springs area photos are just great. It's been too many years since I've visited up there. Used to go picnicking waaaay back in the days before the cave was developed (now you know I'm a really old lady!)

Wishing you many happy pots!

SunShine said...

Hello Pat! Thank you. It was nice to hear from you. That is neat you used to picnic at Blanchard. Did you see the old mill before the dam was constructed? Have you ever been through the caverns? My Dad was a cave guide so I have been many times and always enjoy it.

Favorite Blogs...

Pottery Blogs