Sunday, November 29, 2009

The sunshine was beckoning us…

…so I set aside the “to do” list and Brandy and I hiked around our place.
There is a dilapidated house on one corner of the property with a huge mulberry tree in front that buzzards like to perch in. It was built in the early 70’s when this used to be a pig farm and still has a couple of iron beds and antique trunks inside.
Below the house is a year round spring with dozens of trails leading to it. I keep thinking it would be fun to camp out there to see all the animals that come to drink at the spring, but, knowing there are bears, and coyotes, and bobcats (Oh, my!) on the property, we’ll leave that to someone braver.
Can you see the buck? Without a zoom on my camera, he is a little hard to make out. Nice of him to wait for me to get the camera out of the fanny pack to take a picture of him. Brandy was good and heeled when I asked. She understands that when I say an animal is our friend, she isn’t supposed to chase it, though I get tickled because she looks up at me quizzically as if to ask “Are you sure the deer is our friend?”
It sounds like all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families as did I. I had begun a post with a list of things I am thankful for (my beloved family foremost), but couldn’t seem to find an end to the list. : )

Thank you for all your wonderful blogs and for the fun, thoughtful and inspiring posts/comments! You all continually brighten my days!

I am planning on staying with my parents for awhile, so if you don’t hear from me…

7 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Enjoyed the virtual walk with you and I am not even tired. Thanks. Can't believe Brandy didn't chase the deer. Gooood girl.
My thoughts and prayers are with you today as I know you father will be having surgery. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Take care.

Linda Starr said...

Wow, I love old buildings and that tree is amazing for a mulberry. Beautiful photos.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Fascinating tour, Jewels! Thanks. I love the photo of the almost invisible buck; that would make a great jigsaw puzzle!

Old houses like that intrigue me. Is that a metal dipper hanging on the wall? If that house is on YOUR property, I encourage you to rescue the iron beds and the trunk, if they are not already falling apart. They propably are anty-q's!

Sending good wishes to your father today, and to you, as well.

Anonymous said...

Your studio is really looking great! Soon you will have dozens of pots drying waiting for the bisque firing. Thanksgiving was a blast. Ate turkey until I buldged at the seams. It looks like you are having a beautiful fall there. I love the pictures of the old house. The building has so much character. Take care Jewels.

SunShine said...

GOOD NEWS: My dad is home from the hospital and doing great! Scar tissue had grown around one of his stints – the doc cleaned it out and he is fine again. Joy! We are very relieved. Thank you all so much for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers!!

Hello Patti! I am always a bit surprised how well behaved Brandy is too. Thank you for your support and for offering to take care of Brandy! I am still very grateful to you for taking such good care of her (and lavishing her with attention) back in February!

Hello Linda! I love old buildings too and there are so many splendid old barns and houses in this part of Arkansas. I should be better about taking my camera along when I am out exploring.

Hello Pat! The house is on my property and the trunk and beds are in good condition, but the floor is fairly rotted underneath and I am concerned someone would get hurt trying to remove them. My friend, Lee, is coming in this weekend, maybe he will have an idea how to get them out safely. I think the metal thing on the porch is an old electric meter??? Thank you for your well wishes!

Hello Lee! The shop is perfect – thanks to lots of help from you and family. : ) Glad you had a great time at Thanksgiving. I know how much all your nieces and nephews adore you! Brandy and I are looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Michèle Hastings said...

walking your property sounds like an adventure...thank you for sharing

SunShine said...

Hello Michéle! It was good to hear from you. I do enjoy being outside in nature (minus the poisonous snakes).

Favorite Blogs...

Pottery Blogs