Wednesday, December 9, 2009

First Bisque Firing

A good friend of mine came to visit this weekend. He is a fun loving person and always a joy to spend time with. He is also very handy and helped me with a couple of things around the house (which I am very grateful for!). He installed hooks at the back of the shop to hang the ladder, extension cords and other tools on; he changed the water filter (I wasn’t strong enough to unscrew it, ugh!); and he added a few more shelves in the shop to store pots.

I fired the first bisque firing in the new studio while he was here. Happy to report the old electric Cress kiln still fires perfectly and none of the pots broke or exploded. : )

I have been reading Alternative Kilns & Firing Techniques by Watkins and Wandless. I had mentioned to Lee I was thinking of trying to fire in a barrel or pit, so (being the utterly sweet person that he is) he brought me a barrel. Have any of you done a pit or barrel firing? …the sunrise this cold and windy morning.

8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Congrats on your first bisque. Wow, barrel firings are so much fun and you have a perfect location to do barrel firings. I have the same book and did a few firings here when I could (California has severe restrictions on burning some of the links on my blog about the firings with lots of info and tips, please post about your firings, I definitely want to do more of these:

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/01/barrel-firing-prep.html

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/02/holy-smoke.html

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/02/first-barrel-firing.html

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/04/barrel-firing-results.html

SunShine said...

Hello Linda! Thank you ever so much! The results you got from your barrel firings are wonderful (love the pendants!) and are exactly what I am wanting. I can hardly wait for warmer weather to try it out!

Arkansas Patti said...

Congrats Jewels, I don't know what that is but I can feel your excitement.
That Lee is a real winner. He needs to be kept in your life.

tonya said...

Hey Jewels,
I love the book you're speaking of.. barrels, wood firing, pits, raku.. ah, someday! I am excited that you have a firing completed and are well on your way in the studio there! I will be looking forward to seeing your pottery!

p.s. Wish we were neighbors :)

SunShine said...

Hello Patti! Bisque refers to a low temperature firing (around 1000 degrees Celsius) that hardens the clay but it still remains porous enough to absorb glaze. I am certain Lee and I will always be best of friends regardless where life leads us. : )

Hello Tonya! Wish we were neighbors too! It would be fun to learn how to do the various firings with you (in between playing with Wyatt)! : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Jewels,
I always have a great time coming down to see you. You are a real joy to be around. When you get ready for that barrel firing, drop me a line and I will come down and split wood.
Lee.

SunShine said...

You are a sweetheart Lee!

Peter said...

Hi Jewels,
Just popped over to say Happy Christmas to you! Hope that you have a lovely time with family and friends. I guess you will be taking a few days away from pottery over the holiday time, but good to see your progress so far and your studio looking such a nice place to work.
Happy Christmas,

Peter, Laura, and Ginger

Favorite Blogs...

Pottery Blogs