Cute spider on my weigela bush! : ) Have I mentioned I like spiders? My sincere apologies to those with arachnophobia! I guess it is uncommon to like spiders but I spent several years of my childhood on a farm far away from any kids my age and my parents chose not to own a television, so, naturally, I occasionally amused myself by watching spiders spin webs or catching insects to feed them. 
My favorite is the black-and-yellow Argiope more commonly known as a garden spider (not my photo). Late last fall, a female Argiope laid her eggs outside my front door where a doorbell would be. I was worried someone who wasn’t aware of my fondness for spiders would destroy it, so I placed a sign over the egg sack that reads please do not disturb the spider eggs. It took me a couple of times to figure out why I would answer the door and find someone chuckling.
I have been something of a nervous parent, checking on them every day, warding off possible predators and waiting with great anticipation for them to emerge. There should be in between 300 to 1,000 of them. I wish I had a camera with a macro lens so I could share the event with you, though I am beginning to worry something has happened to them as I think they should have dispersed by now.
A picture of part of the orchard…it is nice to mark weed, fertilize and mulch fruit trees off my list of things to do. I am glad for the approaching rain that will allow me time to study and to give the house (and Brandy) a good scrubbing. Enjoy your day!
10 comments:
One thing that I am really starting to like about this blogging activity, is that it is making me start to open my eyes and really look at views, flowers, sunrises, and unexpected things that I might want to put on my blog. I guess I am a bit obsessed with the blogging thing and will have to keep a check on the hours I spend in front of the glowing screen, but passive nature of television never gave the interactive and healthy creative push that blogging does. It is no wonder that a childhood spent without TV helped make you into the observant and creative person that you are. Great post of yours about spiders. I read it to Laura, who is very phobic about those eight legged wonders. I get to rescue them and carry them outside (with due ceremony and apologies on cold nights) to locations that I don't reveal to L. Most of our spiders in NZ are harmless to humans, and it is a couple of the smaller ones that are harmful. We do get the occasional really large black one in the wood heap, or in shady places in the garden. They are almost large enough to give rise to the occasional dubious thought, "I wonder if you taste like crab?!" Seriously though, that black-and-yellow Argiope is spectacular, and I can see why you like it. The nest looks like an ancient piece of Japanese pottery. I hope that the nest that you have protected is OK after all. Good luck with it. P.
Ok---- there was a time that would creep me out big time but Beverly at Burning Silo several years ago showed such wonderful pictures of spiders and crawlie types that I can now appreciate your Garden Spider and the impending birth. I did see wolf spider babies hatch once and it was amazing. Zillions of tiny replacas of the Momma scattered in all directions.I still prefer many legged things in pictures rather than in real life. Hope you catch the birthing.
Peter - Thank you for your kind words. I hope my post didn’t spook Laura. Blogging is addictive for me too (I paid no heed to a friend’s forewarning). I am feeling a twinge of guilt from all the neglected chores piling up, though it subsides with the knowledge that I am exercising my brain cells (reference to Patti’s funny post from yesterday) and meeting wonderful and creative people like you. Rather gallant of you to not only to save Laura from the spiders but also for sparing their lives. : ) I am intrigued by your large black spider.
Patti - Glad Beverly helped you get over the creep factor and you were able to enjoy the baby wolf spiders. : )
Hi Jewels,
If I ever have the camera handy when I meet up with one of our large black spiders, I'll send you a photo!
Best Wishes, P.
Thanks Peter! : )
Hello, Jewels. I found your blog through a circuitous route: from Peter's Pottery blog in New Zealand. I'm always delighted to find other Arkansans in blogland.
I can't say that I'm fond of spiders, being a tad bit arachnophobic, but if they don't try to take up residence inside my house I believe in live and let live. I am fascinated, however, by Orb Spiders (i.e., the Charlotte's Web variety) and one that I named Zelda took up residence just above my front screen door several years ago. I was able to watch her through the glass portion of the door both day and night. Zelda created her egg sack under the eaves just a few feet from her web, and though I watched carefully, I never did see the baby spiders. Must have blinked.
In season, I have Garden/Corn/Writing spiders (Argiope)in my back garden and am careful not to disturb their webs as I work in the flower beds. I've not noticed any egg cases around, though; maybe this year.
Wishing you a happy remainder of the weekend. If it's rained as much where you are as it has here, you won't need to water your garden for a while.
Hello Pat! Welcome to my blog. Zelda is a perfectly delightful name for a spider. I don’t usually name resident spiders, but the large (approximately 1 ½”) brown spider that lives in my bathroom needs a name. Any suggestions? I only see him crawling across the tile floor in the middle of the night when I am half asleep. I haven’t figured out what type of spider he is as he doesn’t appear to be in the spider identification hand book I have. Enjoy the sunshine tomorrow!
I think you should call your brown spider 'tiddles'. Put a picture up - I bet he's a Tegenaria spp.
We only have one species of Argiope in the uk - the garden spider here is Araneus diadematus - a pretty thing and they get quite large, but very common. Argiope is on the south coast only, so I don't get them :(
Nice pics anyway - more more.
Oh, I'm a fellow spider-phile by the way, if you hadn't guessed :)
Oh, was a beautiful spider. This time of year the garden spiders here are hatching out everywhere to take advantage of the onslaught of bugs. I tried taking a photo or two, but I am unfamiliar with the macro on my camera, will have to learn.
What part of Arkansas are you in? I lived on a farm in Malvern east of Hot Spring from 1993 to 1997 and my relatives have lived near there from way back to the trail of tears days.
Hello Potterboy! It is nice to meet a spider-phile. : ) Tiddles (he loves his name by the way), though usually quite friendly, did not cooperate last night for he ran out of the bathroom and under the dresser when I approached him with the camera. When I returned from my walk this morning, he was there at the door to greet me, but again ran away when I reached for the camera. Apparently, he is somewhat of a private spider and is guarded about having his picture posted on the internet (completely understandable). He is a Tegenaria duellica. Brilliant! Thank you! : )
Hello Linda! Thank you for stopping by. I live approximately 100 miles north of Malvern (as the crow flies) in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Will pop over to your site to see where you are now.
Post a Comment