Saturday, April 25, 2009

It is all about the grasshoppers!

It is fun to watch Brandy hunt for grasshoppers as it makes her so happy. She eats so many of them that I have to cut her food portion in half to keep her from gaining too much weight. Yesterday, when she had finished gorging herself, she laid beside me while I finished weeding under the fruit trees. I caught one of the pretty, green grasshoppers and, thinking of an article I read in Science News on how healthy and packed with protein bugs are, I wondered what a grasshopper might taste like. I wouldn’t mind the crunch, but the oozing goo might be a bit much for me to stomach. Has anyone ever tried one? Or maybe a worm?


Arkansas Patti said...
I-don't-think-so. Times have to get much harder before I insect munch. Can understand Brandy though.
Mighty also loves grasshoppers but his favorite is "worm jerky." The part of the worm not eaten by birds and is baked in the sun, gets leather like. That is his guilty pleasure. He is not opposed to digging up grubs also. Why do we even buy dog food??

April 25, 2009 12:53 PM
Peter said...
I seem to recall that my sister had roasted grasshoppers in Africa when she was over there a couple of years back, and.... she enjoyed them! As to her description of what they tasted like, "nutty chicken" springs to mind... (Not that the chicken has to be insane, you understand. The Chicken's mental state is not the one that is in question!). I think I would have to be medicated in some way to eat grasshoppers either roasted or raw, they don't appeal to me at all. I would have to be completely sedated to eat worms. P.

April 26, 2009 12:19 AM
Jewels said...
Patti – Love the descriptive name “worm jerky”. Can’t you see "Worm Jerky" being sold at Wal-Mart’s everywhere as the new dog treat fad?

Peter – Very funny "nutty chicken"! Your sister is either very courageous or was very hungry at the time. Maybe we ought to get the roasted grasshopper recipe from her just in case…

April 27, 2009 11:11 AM

3 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I-don't-think-so. Times have to get much harder before I insect munch. Can understand Brandy though.
Mighty also loves grasshoppers but his favorite is "worm jerky." The part of the worm not eaten by birds and is baked in the sun, gets leather like. That is his guilty pleasure. He is not opposed to digging up grubs also. Why do we even buy dog food??

Peter said...

I seem to recall that my sister had roasted grasshoppers in Africa when she was over there a couple of years back, and.... she enjoyed them! As to her description of what they tasted like, "nutty chicken" springs to mind... (Not that the chicken has to be insane, you understand. The Chicken's mental state is not the one that is in question!). I think I would have to be medicated in some way to eat grasshoppers either roasted or raw, they don't appeal to me at all. I would have to be completely sedated to eat worms. P.

SunShine said...

Patti – Love the descriptive name “worm jerky”. Can’t you see "Worm Jerky" being sold at Wal-Mart’s everywhere as the new dog treat fad?

Peter – Very funny "nutty chicken"! Your sister is either very courageous or was very hungry at the time. Maybe we ought to get the roasted grasshopper recipe from her just in case…

Favorite Blogs...

Pottery Blogs