Sunday, June 14, 2009

Screams of terror and a toad

My house is nestled in the woods with a 5 acre meadow in front. Only a faint light from a house far away on top of the mountain is visible at night. So, when I moved here, I opted not to have a light on my electrical pole so that I could star gaze. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can see very well with the natural light from the moon and stars and only need a flashlight on cloudy nights with a dark moon.

It was on such a night that Brandy and I were awakened to what sounded like a women screaming in terror off in the distance. We had just stepped out onto the porch to investigate, when a coyote came around the corner of the house. We surprised the coyote and he let out a piercing, chilling cry. This startled Brandy and me, and all three of us “screamed” in fear. I didn’t have my flashlight to see in the dark, so it took me a moment to process that it was a coyote and not actually a women screaming. Brandy and I jumped back into the house and the coyote ran off. Brandy obligingly huddled close to me until I stopped trembling and my heart calmed to a normal beat.

Now, when the coyote approaches the house at night, he howls to let us know he is there. Brandy joins in and they seem to have begun a nightly howling ritual (though Brandy’s howling sounds more like she is trying to talk). I get chuckled listening to the two of them. I give Brandy a pat and a reassuring “good girl” and I go back to sleep.

The toad is a Fowler’s Toad that was lounging on a stone at the bottom of my front steps.


Have a great week!

8 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Ooooh! I'm very glad that coyote is in your front yard and not mine! My heart goes into a fast pitty-pat just reading about your experience.

Great photo of the toad!

Wishing you a great week.

Peter said...

Hi Jewels, I've been reading all about Coyotes on Wikipedia as a direct result of what you have written. Other than their name, I knew nothing at all about the Coyote until 10 minutes ago!! They sound like a most adaptable and intelligent animal. I'm glad that Brandy is of a good size and is therefore not likely to be Coyote dinner!

When I saw the most splendid and dignified looking toad, I had thought that the screaming and the toad were going to be in some way linked... A few years ago, I hastened outside to find out the cause of a high, shrill and very loud noise, rather like the distress call of a small bird. To my amazement the noise, and it was impressive in volume, came from a really tiny green frog that was probably less than 2 inches long. The frog was successfully repelling the cat that had no doubt shown an unhealthy interest in it. The cat was rather frightened and about 3 feet away from the frog wondering what to do next when I arrived on the scene.

Your night sky must be beautiful without the distraction of lights. What a sensible idea opting for no light on your electrical pole.

How's your shop coming on??

Best Wishes to you, Brandy and the handsome Toad (are you sure that he isn't a prince?!!), P.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sure am glad Brandy didn't see fit to square off against the coyote. Could have been ugly.
Think it is funny that they have become "tweeters" in the evening. Dogs do love to howl don't they?.
Like Peter's comment about the frog.

Linda Starr said...

A prince indeed - that's a beautiful toad and I just love how his front feet are turned inward. It must be scary sometimes living alone with the night sounds, thank goodness it was a coyote and not a woman screaming.

Peter said...

Hi there... Anyone out there??? Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you haven't been eaten!

Best Wishes to you,

Peter

SunShine said...

Hello Pat, Peter, Patti and Linda! I apologize for not responding to your comments earlier. I do enjoy hearing from all of you! Thank you for all your wonderful posts as they have given me an enjoyable break from my work. I have attempted to write comments, but I find myself staring blankly at the computer screen (apparently working in the hot sun has scorched my brain).

Pat -Do you ever hear coyotes howling or yipping where you live? Sounds like you had quite a bad storm in your area of Arkansas - glad the funnel cloud didn’t turn into a tornado. I hope you have fully recovered from the flu! 116 degree heat, oh my! I am looking forward to some rain and cooler weather!

Peter – I enjoyed your account of the distressed frog and happy to hear his screams belayed the cat from consuming him. It is amazing the odd noises animals make when alarmed. Yes, there is a good possibility the toad was a prince, but I am not yet ready to kiss a toad (regardless of his splendid beauty) to find out. : )
You have had a marathon of potting and firing (I worry about you working so hard and not getting enough rest)! You have produced so many gorgeous pieces – I can’t imagine sales not being a success. Have you looked more into selling your work on Etsy? I would think your beautiful copper red glazed pots would be much sought after.
No excuse as glamorous as having been eaten by coyotes – I have just working on the shop. Most days I am up and outside at 5 a.m.; I come in around 1 p.m. to eat, change out of my sweat drenched clothes, shower and fall asleep; wake up around 4 p.m.; work until 9 p.m. and again shower and fall asleep.
Today is the first day that I didn’t work on the shop. I have pictures of the progress and will post when my body and brain have recovered a little more. This weekend I must catch up on some cleaning, laundry, and yard work that I have been neglecting, but most importantly I must go shopping as I am out of chocolate. : )

Patti - I am glad you have a fence to protect Mighty from the coyotes. I love it when the pack meets up at night and they all yip as if elated to see one another. Thank you for all your fun posts!

Linda - Yes, the critters have scared me on more than one occasion, but I am glad Brandy is here to protect me. : )
It is wonderful that you are always experimenting with your art. I was particularly drawn to the ravens and the inlaid plates you have done! I am anxious to see what they look like after being fired. I chuckled at your apprehension of firing your kiln for the first time as I felt the same way. It does get easier with every firing. : )

Peter said...

Dear Jewels,
Yippeeee! So Glad that you are still alive and kicking! I quite understand about the difficulty keeping up the comment writing when you are working so hard. Sounds hot in your part of the world too, which certainly can turn the poor old brain into a steaming pudding that cannot generate enough electrical energy to formulate words, written or spoken! I have to say that I do like 5am in summer, it is a grand time to be alive and busy with the day waking up around you, and a very sensible way of avoiding the worst heat of the day.

I will look further into selling on line, my brain hasn't been quite up to sorting it all out yet with the crazy pace of the exhibition preparations, and being a part of the exhibition itself! The WWW may well prove to be my way ahead for making sales. Any advice is greatly welcomed.

I have been demonstrating making pots at the exhibition over the last 3 days, and will probably do a little more tomorrow before taking the show down. Tiered, but some sales have come out of it, (about NZ$1500 worth so far) and some more contacts too.
All the Best to you, P.

SunShine said...

Peter - Yes, it is refreshing to wake up with the sun, but it means I want to go to sleep when it sets. I am sure you must be exhausted and hope you have a couple of relaxing days coming up to recoup!

I am planning on selling my work on the web almost exclusively. I have the software to design my own site and the knowledge of how to get good placement with search engines, but I am still in the process of learning the software (I have spent very little time with it as I have been concentrating on building the studio). Anyway, when I get going, I will certainly help you as much as I can.

It is going to be another busy week for me as my brother and sister-in-law are here for a couple of weeks; a girlfriend from college is visiting on Thursday; going to be putting vinyl siding on the shop Tuesday and Wednesday, I am visiting a sweet friend of mine tomorrow (Monday) who is in the hospital (explanation on Patti’s site); and I will be spending Friday and Saturday with my dear family to celebrate the 4th of July (our independence day).

Have a great week!

Favorite Blogs...

Pottery Blogs